Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Kolam!

Today is the 1st of the month Aaddi in tamil calendar where you not only get to eat delicious food which includes vadai, payasam, etc, one thing you will find common among tamil households are the huge kolams right outside the house. For the unenlightened, kolam is tamil form of rangoli and is more about the intricate design than the colour.

*edit* Also, it is believed that since these kolams are made using rice paste, our ancestors believed they provide food for the insects on the ground. What a noble reason for something decorative :D *edit*

Its good in a way that I missed first week of college so that for the first time in my life, I have a huge area in front of my grandparents' house to do it and I didn't miss the opportunity.

I thought I knew how to do it and refused any advice from my grandmother. Well, I did mess it up a bit but for a first timer , I think it was good enough.



And then as the old saying goes, practice makes man perfect. As also does advice from an expert. I finally conceded in asking my nani who insisted that I first draw it on paper, showed me the way about it and I knew it by heart while doing it on the ground.
I feel real nice to have used this opportunity. Now I will go back to living in my flat satisfied that I did attempt what I love doing most. :D

12 comments:

Shraddha said...

Accha hai...Kollam is also some place naa ? I remember it on the map of Kerala. Or its a district like Allepey I suppose.

And I want payassam. Both the types.I love it !

Unknown said...

Good that u didnt miss this opportunity. This flat system in Mumbai does not allow us to do such "aangan" related activities.

Ashmita said...

I can understand what you're feeling. I feel so helpless, and out of touch when I miss out on all this super bengali things my cousins enjoy every year, and i have to miss coz i have exams going on or some random nonsense like that.

Sadness :(

Awesome rangoli type thing tho!
Bengalis make something similar for our own new year, but we used rice paste, which dries off.

Preeti Ramaraj said...

@shraddha: hehe ,i think so,both types matlab?
@karish: Really
@ashmita: I have used rice paste only for the kollam.. I guess bengalis and tamilians have more in common besides the music :D

Rohit said...

Awesome Kolams da! Your Paati would be so proud!

Dimple Nangia said...

so cool :D

Nisha... said...

yeah i know!!! kollam is so much fun to put... another reason i sooooooo miss my old house! :( lucky u!

Trusha said...

dey luk beautiful :)
N i get wat u mean wen u sed dat it was fun missing colg 2 do sumthing u hv always wanted 2 do...i think sumtymz dis is d only way by wich v can get our way ;)

Royston said...

did i c paysam???

Rishkul Kulkarni said...

artiste and all. I hate to generalise, but South Indians are good at everything. Far south that is.

Shraddha said...

Oh I agree with rishkul !

Preeti Ramaraj said...

@rohit: ohh yes, she was :)
@dimple,trusha :)
@merws: yep, now u better get ur ass down here and ask me to make some :P
@rishkul:I have no words :)
@shraddha: touche