Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Growing up

                                      Its already two years of engineering. I can't believe my juniors will have their juniors coming in. My SEs are BEs now. I'm living in my home for the past 20 years.20!! I really can't believe. 10th standard seems a lifetime ago. 

Growing up is just so weird. Birthdays come and go, you keep counting your age but you never realize these are years passing by. I can't believe that when a person looks at me, I'm officially an adult, not the child I think I am. Bhaji wale people take me seriously when I argue about the cost, not like some years back if I did the same, I would be laughed off and I would end up buying the vegetables at their quoted cost( although I doubt I'm good at bargaining :P). When I walk on the road, what I would think has changed gradually but to a great extent. It is obvious it would, but you never realize it changing, do you? If you actually compare yourself now with what you were even 5 years back, you will be amused. There was a time when saying you were in 10th standard was a big deal. There was a time where you didn't even know 10th standard was so important.  Graduation was always much much later. Those days, people 5 years older than you were someone you could never imagine yourself to be one day. Now you would just not be thinking of that cuz you don't want these years to run away.There was a time when I used to hear my parents talk to someone and they would say that their son is in engineering or medicine, I would think, hmmm that's a long time away. Now I'm halfway through and the fact is barely registered in my mind.


When you were a kid all of 6 years, a person a foot taller than you and salwar kameez would translate into an aunty, now maybe a kid might think that about me! My cousin's marriage is round the corner. The first marriage of our generation. and I am next. Of course, that doesn't come before much time later but that's how it always seems,doesn't it?


I realize I have changed only when I actually think what I used to think. A problem in 4th standard was deciding which group to sit with when you are good friends with both of them. Now a problem would possibly be "Do I want to pursue an MS in A or in B?Can I even pursue one". Funny these changes are.

It is always that everyone around you is changing, growing but you, nah, you're still the same. And for a person like me who really doesn't look at the mirror(serious, I ask my mother whether I look decent enough to leave the house), I was surprised one day when I saw my face and I could see my seriousness, maturity whatever you call it, but I wasn't that innocent 10 year old anymore. It sort of sinked in..


How those different aspects of life morph into something different slowly and gradually is growing up and it really matters what you are developing into. Of course, your parents are majorly responsible but there are certain aspects which totally lie in your hands. You can always choose, to be that person who you idolized, not be a spoiled brat who you might scorn and may not realize, you're one yourself.

I think I'm always gonna be amazed at how my thoughts have changed over the years. And they will keep changing....

11 comments:

neelam said...

well.....im sure u r nt good at bargaining!!!

Trusha said...

totally true!! was jus thinking of all dis d odr day :)

shruti said...

I can absolutely n totally connect wid dis one! So true.. engg or medicine and graduation used to seem far away! Everyone around seems to grow except oneself! Real nice. :)

Ashmita said...

Part and parcel of life :)
I guess the only thing we can do is keep in mind what kind of people we wanted to grow up to be when we were 7, just stick to that and not deviate into something horrid.

Post reminded me of the times when I used to lose my water bottle in school every week :P

Nicely written. Keep writing!

Unknown said...

For once, I'd say a reality post. I liked it. I myself don't know how the hell did I become this big. Well actually I know, but then just didn't realize.

Although my favorite lines remain "My cousin's marriage is round the corner. The first marriage of our generation. and I am next." :P Hahahaha... Cow aunty is getting married... :D

For a change your joblessness has produced some good work. Nice read.. :)

kirti said...

growing up may be gradual but having such sudden realizations always comes as a surprise package.
its something you cant halt. as long as u have no regrets, its all about cherishing the past and embracing the future.
n ashmita's comment reminds me that though i am a supposed BE now, i still shamelessly lose water bottles every week in colg. thats a good thing right? keeping the child in you alive..lol
enjoy such "mein kab itna badi ho gayi" moments..

Preeti Ramaraj said...

@neelam: who would know better than you? :P

@trusha: cool :)

@shruti: hey thanks

@ashmita: exactly...and I used to lose my pencil, scale, eraser ,bottle and what not every week :P

@harsh: :O :O
I'm impressed...and how did I know that would be your favourite line? :P

@kirti: yes it is..I lost my bottle this exam too :P
we have no option but to keep the child in us alive...easier to accept then

Anonymous said...

Perfectly echoes my thinking..Every line..How it is difficult to accept adulthood..
As I say, we tend to over-rate every emotion of ours..
Also, you need to realize that you will grow up to become a madrasi maami!Learn to bargain di..
PS:I hate blog post..had a longer comment previously, din't accept it for some reason..

Nisha... said...

well, i dunno abt preeti ramaraj... but preeto is still a baby. and i know that wont change, for good :-)

as for the post.. loved reading it! was laughing throughout.. i mean up till anna's "madarasi maami" comment ;)
i just realized- how drastically has my thinking changed! makes me go how duuhhmb! hehe.

Anonymous said...

hey i have to say ur very good at writing..i mean this is da only one i have seen.but its awesome..guess who im..this im sure u cant

Shraddha said...

haha u have anonymous stalkers too ! Sahi hai !

When you were a kid all of 6 years, a person a foot taller than you and salwar kameez would translate into an aunty, now maybe a kid might think that about me! I will be not called aunty ever then ! Yaay !

Growing up in a way-not growing up in myriad other ways...that's life... Childhood dreams are the ones u want to strive for...but u always cant...