Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Birthday time!!!

                     It's that time of the year again where the month itself is so special to me. Yes, My birthday is arriving!!! To think of it, there is nothing in a birthday. You are just getting a year older and how narcissistic is it to celebrate your own presence in the world!

But then, birthdays tend to become so much more than that and so wonderful too. For a first, its a day where one person less is sad about the different worries in life most probably. Its a day you smile just because its a day surely not unique, but really special to you. The thought of the birthday is enough to make your day. Your sister waking you up at 12 and wishing you is a memorable thing in itself.

Birthdays in my home have always been very simple. No grand party after I was 3. A reason to buy new clothes. A reason to choose between a chocolate truffle and Black Forest cake. Those calls from your grandparents filled with blessings. Those calls from your cousins which let you talk to them after a very long time.
School was just another day with friends who remember wishing you and no distributing of chocolates cuz its so childish. But I still used to be so happy. No frills, no gifts, just a day which seemed special just because you felt so.


Then in college, I realized the joy of giving a treat. For those of you with raised eyebrows, the treat was shared. (:P) But still, it was my first best birthday of my life with wonderful friends. The treat was a simple one at the very humble Bhavan's canteen, but still as always are the first ones, it is memorable.

Also, came the joy of receiving a gift. Really, the gift is nothing in comparison to the emotion on  the friends' faces when you see the gift and say you love it. The best part is they are so happy to give it( at least they look like it) and also that everyone around you is also so happy in spite of it being only your birthday. Especially when they have planned surprises too. Being one of the people who is at the forefront in planning other birthdays, it is so exciting to plan stuff and wait to see the glee in the birthday boy/girl's eyes on having had so much to look forward to. Every time you see the card or the gifts you were gifted, you can't help but smile at how wonderful a day it was and how lucky you are to have such wonderful friends. Last time, even in my supposed "thank you" speech to my friends, I said they themselves are the best gifts I could have asked for and I couldn't have meant it more.

Even the call at 12 which is usually a conference which extends for hours is a wonderful memory in itself. So much laughter, so much happiness at times. It is really a good thing to celebrate birthdays just for the sake of that momentary happiness.

So, what do I realize while waiting for the birthday while will define my last year of being an teenager? It's one day of the year you can really call yours and not only  get all the attention( which is very rare in general in my case) and you think you are really popular and everyone loves you ( :P) but also enjoy the presence of friends whose presence itself makes you feel loved (in reality :P) and make it the one day where you thought "My life is the best anyone could have asked for." Cheers to life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to look forward to Birthdays but now hate the special attention that arises all of a sudden.Spent most of my Childhood buddays in Jeddah.Memorable ones must say.

Sumiran said...

Yes Preeti, we'd appreciated your effort to remind us of your impending birthday :).