Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Growing to become a SPITian

                         I really don't know but reminiscing always seems fun. Even though what you are reminiscing about is really small but within that time frame, you are in that place, in that emotion with the feeling of exuberance surrounding you.Anyway, I can't help going back to the first day of college. After attending an inspiring orientation( also one of the faculty repeating "We are orthodox" twice to warn about the dress code..yah!), each group of 20-30 students were taken for sight-seeing into the college (Did you think nearby hill-stations? ) that we had all strived to get into for two whole years and were reaping the seeds of our effort.When our teacher was taking us around, our seniors just came and spoke so casually to our teacher asking which class we were from. I still remember, I was amazed how casual these guys are in that kind of an environment and I was even surprised to see the teacher teasing those students too. I was wondering whether I would actually become a part of this institution and not stand out as a weird different student.

Now after a year, I can laugh at the then myself because when this year our juniors came, we did exactly the same things. Stood on the first floor and asked those prim and proper first years which class they were from. They must have thought we were bullying them. But they will know in due course of time,its only tradition. I have progressed to such an extent( if I  may say so) that I have given a HI-Five to the same teacher who took us around on my first day because of some really childish fun we had at someone's expense. So guess,I am not an NRSP(Non resident SPITian) after all :P.

When I entered college, my only hopes were to find like minded people in my class( if there exist ) and be affable to people as possible( not that I am not ) to make at least acquaintances, if not friends who would somewhat help me pass through the four years of my life in a simple acceptable manner. But the first day itself, I had found 4 somewhat like minded girls( Surprise! ) only to discover in due course of time, the similarity wasn't superficial. Same music,same books, one of them ..same language!!!(I'm not biased, its just that I haven't found too many people speaking tamil before entering here) In a few days , after we were dragged forcibly( albeit a memorable experience) into the freshers' dance, I got to know the mortals who form the majority of the class.Boys. And well, they didn't seem to be like-minded at first......For eg. when we girls used to sit on the last few benches, these boys used to run, squabble and fight for the second and third benches.( Really really weird when you see it ). But then the fest came. These engineering fests are actually cool because that is when you realize SPITians aren't just nerds. I too found out that boys in my class are actually so musically inclined ,talented, even PJologists( tribute to harsh and sumiran) and the icing of the cake: fun and great. So, there was the big bang: in my head. A whole new universe had been formed for me. And as an universe has to expand, so did my list of people I loved knowing.

That was the time I had started blogging. In my case, I tend to convey a lot more including emotions when I write than when I speak. I really didn't know my seniors except for some of their names. It just so happened that I happened to see the status update of my senior  as "Blog update" and I chanced upon his blog. I had entered a new domain altogether.I read all the posts on that page and saw his blogroll. Only to see a list of  minimum 20 names, all of them SPITians!! I tried reading all of them( I still haven't finished) and I knew I had found my place.After that,in the second year, now that I know a lot more seniors(thanks to dominoes and a whole set of blog comments) ,I dare to comment on their impeccable blogs which are always a joy to read. For the past few weeks, I have been trying to achieve this herculean task of reading blogs..its not a task really,love reading them..and one thing I loved about their blogs is that there are at least 10 comments mostly by fellow SPITians. Also, so many posts!!Anyway, my secret aim is to get all these expert bloggers to look at my blog and comment(now no longer a secret)  which has happened in case of some of them.(yippee!!)

Anyway, my point was, I thought I would just have acquaintances in my class and nothing impressive but now its like this whole association of people I know from different classes, different branches ,some of whom I love,some who I look upto, some of whom I epitomize as true SPITians and some of whom I'll never forget in my life.

But anyway,one of my seniors told me that SP is one of the few colleges like VJTI and IIT which has a culture of its own. I now realize it is true. To find a place full of people with thought processes just like you isn't always plausible nor is it coincidence.This is a place where I was meant to be.This is the place where I belong. Midway into my engineering, I hope I am remembered as a SPITian in the years to come by seniors,juniors and peers alike. Cheers!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Very true... but thank God u mentioned us as SPITians and not SPIToons :P

Or actually if there were goons in SPIT the would be called SPIToons! :P

Anonymous said...

Every post..I mean EVERY post of yours has got me reminiscing...I remember going through exactly the same 'Initial Blog Phase' you went through..Baffled to see the number of bloggers..Yes We do have a culture we can claim to be ours and I hope it only passes through..But relatively few bloggers in your class though..And was it my blog that you were refering to by any chance?
And also..Every Blog fills some Void..until yours, there was no Hard-core Engineering-SPIT Blog..Great going di..Cheers

Preeti Ramaraj said...

Thank you so much for that..I'll make sure it remains one...and yes,I was referring to your blog cuz around january,ur profile name in orkut itself was Blog update. And the rest is history.

Anonymous said...

I'l tell u why i Asked this..Back when I started..I Saw Pratap n Bretts Orkut Profile name as 'Blog Updated'..and I followed..So Life has cum a full circle for me now..Hope sum1 reads u'r profile name too.. :)

Preeti Ramaraj said...

May your words come true!Thank you so much for your wishes and you thoughts :)

Nisha... said...

aahhh... fethis 1 is awesome.. like a tribute to sp.. :)

Srinath Warrier said...

Its wonderfully written...
But how dare you write
""SPIT,the 2nd best college in town"" in your aboutme.. ??? CHANGE IT NOW......... arrrrggghhhhh...!!!!

Preeti Ramaraj said...

Thank you so much..The about me was written keeping VJTI in mind. Now that it is no longer autonomous,I guess I can change :D