Pages

Monday, January 15, 2018

Railroad Memories

I got the "coffee convert" tea today. The watery black tea to which I added some milk and sugar. The first taste on my tongue and the memory of travelling by train hit me like a rock. To waking up to the sound of "Chai chai" and "Coffee Coffee". I loved travelling by train, it brings up some of my nicest memories with my family, despite the 36 hours of journey and terrible bathrooms. I loved looking out at the green fields, reading by the window, playing card games, having idli mulagai podi packed in banana leaves for food and fermenting yogurt in bottles, and last but most definitely the topmost in priority - loving the food that came through the compartments (Masala vada tops that list hands down). 

Train journeys also remind me of sleepless nights spent talking, feeling, realizing and appreciating those moments. Of times experienced together that cannot be repeated. I still have this romanticism associated with it.There is something about travelling by train in India that pulls me in, even though I don't think it is going to happen any time soon. Until then, I'm gonna hold on to these memories that just bring up the excitement of travel, the relishing pleasure of food and an inherent feeling of experiencing life in the moment as opposed to letting it pass you by, we leave that to fields on the train. :)

This song has nothing to do with trains except for the title (and maybe the pacing and the pattern of playing too). But here it goes. 

John Mayer - Stop this train

P.S. This is definitely one of my shorter posts. But I think I want to just write more instinctively and post as opposed to waiting for time to perfect, since all that effort is spent in trashing and rewriting my research things. So here's to firsts!

No comments: