Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Blyton, my first love

SO I found the book First term at Malory towers on one of my colleague's desks and I happily borrowed it. Thought it's gonna be lying somewhere as a memory of what I used to love reading when I was young but before I knew it, I couldn't keep the book down and I had finished reading it, for I think the millionth time maybe and that nice feeling doesn't escape me.

I think I should be thankful to my mom that she introduced Enid Blyton to me and my sister right when we were 9 and 7.These books despite being written so long ago still manage to bring out exactly those emotions that a kid needs to grow up in the right way. I remember the first time I read Malory towers. My thoughts resonated with Darrell's so much, I thought it couldn't be possible. Right from being the studious girl to having a younger sister who adores her and being straightforward and kind, reading the book reaffirmed that I was doing it right. All those incidents that bring out the best and worst in a person puts you through all those thoughts and for me then, it was a life changing experience, though I never realized that until this very moment. (After that,recently Fountainhead has lived to be the life-changing experience for me, if I haven't forgotten any other book. )

 Must say the same about Harry Potter, that I was lucky to have read (well, at least the first three books before it became a not-so-ideal-book per se) at exactly the times Harry Potter was the same age as me with every book that released. And those ideals that a teenager learns through those books, I don't know if it would have been the same experience had it been real life. But it made me remember that I wanted to go to Malory towers much before I wanted to go to Hogwarts.

Sometimes I wonder if I missed a lot when I missed the hostel/dormitory life. Not that I regret what I had, but these stories make it sound so lovely, it would have been worth a shot.

But I know one thing. Kids need to read these kind of books before they are exposed to Twilight and Vampire diaries and all that trash that I wouldn't even know the names of. THESE are the books that help you make decisions about yourself though you never realize that you did so. And these decisions last a lifetime. They define your very persona. Sigh, just how much I love this book.

If and when I do have kids, I think I have my ideal first book for them.

Got to get the remaining five and read those as well.

P.S. Very random this is, I know. But I just decided to write about it before the feeling melted away.

P.P.S. If you haven't read it, maybe you should try it, quite the recipe for a happy after-feeling :)



2 comments:

Anjana said...

I and me mom had this exact conversation sometime last week. All children need to brought up such classics. And we need to bring back reading real books.

Roshni said...

Absolutely right, Preeti. My kids still dont want to let go of the Secret Seven, Famous Five, Malory towers and St Claires... books with repeated reading value....