Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Microsoft-The end of it

        I just don't feel like changing what I originally thought of it. This title came in the last week of my internship. Now when I sit to finish what I intended writing, it seems it isn't the end after all but a whole new beginning.

I remember the last time I wrote about my internship. I knew nothing of what I had to do. I didn't know how I was gonna fare. I didn't know if I was worth the internship. But I was very sure I'll make myself worth it. Those 8 weeks were difficult. But weird enough, they were equally fun. (yes, I don't mind confessing I love coding, call me a geek if you want :P ). And never ever try to uninstall SQLServer, it is such a pain that I can't even explain how much. Plus I had to do it thrice, making it the first time I had to sit beyond 12 in office. (Blame the cab system, which drops you to your home whatever time may be :P )

The internship was even awesome'r' because of the other interns. We got to know each other pretty well I must say, making that one of the main reasons why we wanted to come back more than anything else at all. All those group lunches, group dinners, stupid banter, coffee breaks and sometimes even serious doubts and discussions really mattered a lot. (Must thank the seniors for the unofficial facebook group, that really helped us know each other much before we were even there). Not to forget, those late night movies as well!

Talking of late night movies, to be out at wee hours of the day was definitely a first for me. Never have I even dared to ask, forget enter out of the house beyond 10. But there, this happened as I got to work at my best time (yes, I'm a nocturnal person, an owl would ideally be my animagus if I think of it) and even late night movies. None of this a secret from home makes it the icing on the cake. No objection would be a cherry on the top. Why, when my deadline for the presentation got advanced and a time came when I had to do my project right from scratch in one night (yes, that did happen and trust me, I wasn't ever more confident that I could finish it, just a gut feeling I had, didn't even know why), I actually sat till 4.15 a.m. and was wide awake when I came back at 8 to complete the project, managed to add a few finishing touches as well which I hadn't added in the previous version. The project was ready right at half an hour before the presentation.

But anyway, when you're a girl with overprotective parents, this kind of gives you that independent feeling ,you know, something I wasn't sure I was ready for, definitely sure my parents weren't. But then, they suddenly seemed to have felt that their girl has grown up to make her own decisions whilst I was there which made me really happy, as they did think I was responsible for myself. Considering its my first time all by myself, I found that a big deal.


I had awesome team mates without whom I doubt I would ever have reached the completion of my project and I'm not even exaggerating. If it wasn't for my manager's encouraging words, I wouldn't have ever imagined myself completing in a night what took me 5 weeks. If it wasn't for my mentor's support, I doubt I would have had thought I could sit myself through. But that's ok, I made sure I thanked all of them profusely when I left and also informed them that I got the job and that I attributed part of my success to all of them.

Its not even sunk in yet and I'm not at all saying this because everyone says this. Of course it was crazy to hear the words "you're hired" after a very dramatic pause; but still, the fact that I am going there next year, the fact that I have indeed got a 10 lakh odd job(although that hardly matters), the fact that I indeed am so lucky in so many ways... Things have been going in the right way, rather the perfect way ever since my 11th std now and every time I take a new step I wonder if its the end of my lucky stretch. Guess this wasn't either. Never did I work with the intention of getting the job, of course finally everyone wants it but the internship meant much more to me, much more than I have ever imagined. It meant me knowing that I can push my limits to achieve what had seemed impossible to me by my own self, it meant me knowing for sure that I am meant for coding and me saying 'I like coding' is not a farce, it meant that, I reiterate; with practically nothing technical on my resume, I could actually come to live a computer engineer's dream.

So I am a jobless person the following year but to reminisce about the past 3 years( now I am emotional 4th year old person and I'll be ranting about missing everything in a few months I think ), Microsoft IT for the next year at least and of course, really really happy to be back with all the people that I missed so much whilst I was there. I think I have spoken too much about Microsoft now, I'm bored and I'll be back to usual Preeti post in some time. Till then, tada!

3 comments:

Trusha said...

LOL at "owl is my animagus" :D
And you are so inspiring pre! Seeing your dedication and sincerity towards your work fills me with inspiration and motivates me to learn from you. Stay like that always! God Bless You!

S@n said...

loved this post too!! good luck with evrything pre! god bless! :)

Preeti Ramaraj said...

@luna: :) Nice to know that :) Thank you
@san: :) :)